All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe world's eyes are on Latin America as a place of radical political inspiration and as an alternative to the neoliberal model. Each country in the region deals differently in its method of government, yet there are common cultural themes that tie the continent's trajectory together. Religion without Redemption looks at the sociology of religion, political philosophy and the history of ideas of the continent, in an attempt to show how Western understanding fails to come close to a correct analysis of how and why political and ecomic characteristics work as they do. Luis Martinez Andrade focuses on how the centrality of religion for the people of Latin America has influenced how they interact with the changes in the modern ecomic system. Capitalism, for example, has taken on religious characteristics: it has sacred places of worship (the shopping mall) as well as its own prophets. Martinez Andrade discusses how this form of 'cultural religion' accompanies many aspects of life in a contradictory manner: t only does it fulfil the role of legitimating oppression, it also can be a powerful source of rebellion, unveiling thus a subversive side to the status quo. Religion Without Redemption advances the ideas of liberation theory into the 21st century, and challenges the provincialism to which many Latin American thinkers are usually consigned.
- Author BiographyLuis Martinez Andrade is a Mexican essayist, with a PhD in sociology from EHESS in Paris. His research interests focus on the sociology of religion, Latin American contemporary thought and political ecology. His previous work has been published in Mexico, Poland and France. In 2009 he received the internationally acclaimed Thinking Against the Mainstream essay award in Havana.
- Author(s)Luis Martinez Andrade
- PublisherPluto Press
- Date of Publication20/03/2015
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleDecolonial Studies, Postcolonial Horizons
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPluto Press
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Format DetailsLibrary binding
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.51Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.