All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
- AU $80.68New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.32Trending at AU $23.52
About this product
- DescriptionThis comparative exploration looks at religion and politics in the social dynamics of Southeast Asia's two most populous nations. The Philippines and Indonesia are treated as one vast Phil-Indo archipelago. Eight leading scholars contribute interwoven and contending essays. The authors find that while neither country promotes a state religion, both lack partitions between church and state. Social dynamics of faith in each elude constitutional restrictions. In the Philippines, a Spanish tradition of an ecclesiastical state exists in tension with a Jeffersonian tion of separation of realms. In Indonesia, pre-Islamic concepts of a god-king fuse state and society, as modern initiatives surge from the premise of a prevailing Islamic community. Official religiosity pervades Indonesian national life, while Filipis act out their private religiosity en masse, trying to overcome deficiencies in state and church. The book includes 38 photographs, in colour and black and white, with commentaries that further illustrate the themes of each chapter. Contributors include Azyumardi Azra (University Islam Negeri, Indonesia), Jose M. Cruz (Ateneo de Manila University,The Philippines), Donald K. Emmerson (Institute for International Studies, Stanford University) Theodore Friend (Foreign Policy Research Institute), Robert W. Hefner (Institute for the Study of Ecomic Culture, Boston University),Vicente Leuterio Rafael (University of Washington), Jose Eliseao Rocamora (Institute for Popular Democracy,The Philippines) and David Joel Steinberg (Long Island University).
- Author BiographyTheodore Friend is a senior fellow with the Foreign Policy Research Institute, Philadelphia, USA. He is president emeritus and trustee of the Eisenhower Fellowships, where he served as president (1984-96), and former president of Swarthmore College (1973-82). His most recent book is Indonesian Destinies (Harvard University Press, 2003).
- PublisherFrederick Brown
- Date of Publication23/01/2006
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFrederick Brown
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.), 1 col. map, ports.
- Weight15 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Edited byTheodore Friend
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.