All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionOffering a rich selection of classic and recent scholarship, this reader presents an extraordinary portrait of religion's fate across four centuries of the American experience. Its essays cover major issues in American history and religion, including American Indian religion, women, Catholics, Protestants and fundamentalism, Judaism, political activism, Mormons, religious assimilation, and religious bigotry. Selected debates encourage readers to test conflicting interpretations about religion's impact on American history, and original documents trace religion's influence on slavery, race, and politics from the colonial era to the late 20th century. Religion in American History serves as a one-volume tour through America's tumultuous, varied, and often misunderstood religious past.
- Author BiographyJon Butler is William Robertson Coe Professor of American Studies and History and Professor of Religious Studies at Yale University. He is the author of <em>Awash in a Sea of Faith: Christianizing the American People</em> (1990), <em>The Huguenots in America: A Refugee People in New World Society</em> (1990), <em>Power, </em><em>Authority, and the Origins of American Denominational Order: The English Churches in the Delaware Valley</em>, 1680-1730 (1978), and numerous articles and essays. Harry S. Stout is Jonathan Edwards Professor of American Christianity at Yale University and the John B. Madden Master of Berkeley College. He is the general editor of OUP's <em>Religion and America Series</em> and co-editor of <em>New Directions in American Religious History</em> (OUP, 1997). He is author of <em>The New</em><em>England Soul: Preaching and Religious Culture in Colonial New England</em> (OUP, 1986), and co-editor of <em>Jonathan Edwards and the American Experience</em> (OUP, 1988), and <em>Benjamin Franklin, Jonathan Edwards, and the Representation of American Culture</em> (OUP, 1993).
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication01/09/1997
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Weight779 g
- Width164 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byHarry S. Stout,Jon Butler
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.