All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is based on the inaugural Jordan Lecture Comparative Religion in 1951 and offers a survey of religious movements in India, past and present. Reu discusses the Veda, its rise and fall, and the state of studies of Vedic ritual, liturgy, mythology, magic, speculative thought, and secular discipline; the contribution of Vedic Upanishads to Hinduism; the Mahabharata; the expansion of Hinduism, its fertility and battle myths, eroticism, legends of the gods, cosmogonic speculations, and theories of transmigration and 'liberation'; its doctrine of meditation and exercises of Yoga; Hinduism's mosaic of sects and independent groups and their attitude to the caste system. The volume concludes with a presentation on Jainism, the ascetic, n-violent sect that has adapted to modern society.
- Author BiographyLouis Renou was Professor of Sanskrit and Indian Literature at the Sorbonne, France.
- Author(s)Louis Renou
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication06/10/2016
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleReligious Studies: Bloomsbury Academic Collections
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight369 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.