All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis 1999 book is about the religious life of the Greeks from the eighth century BC to the fifth century AD, looked at in the context of a variety of different cities and periods. Simon Price does t describe some abstract and self-contained system of religion or myths but examines local practices and ideas in the light of general Greek ideas, relating them for example, to gender roles and to cultural and political life (including Attic tragedy and the trial of Socrates). He also lays emphasis on the reactions to Greek religions of ancient thinkers - Greek, Roman, Jewish and Christian. The evidence drawn on is of all kinds: literary texts, which are translated throughout; inscriptions, including an appendix of newly translated Greek inscriptions; and archaeology, which is highlighted in the numerous illustrations.
- Author(s)Simon Price
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/06/1999
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleKey Themes in Ancient History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note36 b/w illus.
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $21.97
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.