All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis unique study of religious leadership guides the reader through the personalities and action contexts of leaders of world religions. A trajectory of sacred authority is identified, stretching from the animating depths of a leader's inner life, to the vitalizing bond connecting a leader to followers, and finally to the powerful inertia of the culture of the religion a leader represents. A psychological typology of leaders is developed on the basis of this trajectory in the history of religions as it is seen in leaders' action contexts: Self-Encounterer, Group-Container, Tradition-Manager. Illustrations include Martin Luther King, Jr., Ramakrishna, Helena Blavatsky, Oral Roberts, Emmanuel Milingo, Salama ibn Hassan Salama, Jonathan Edwards, and the Dalai Lama. Considerable attention is given to methodology in the scientific study of religion, with special emphasis on contemporary depth psychology. The book is useful t only for predicting future religious leadership, but also for training religious professionals.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Richard A. Hutch is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Studies in Religion, University of Queenland, Australia. He has published widely in the areas of Religion and Psychological Studies and Biography. Previous books include Emerson's Optics: Biographical Process and the Dawn of Religious Leadership and (edited with P. Fenner) Under the Shade of a Coolibah Tree: Australian Studies in Consciousness. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago, his B.D. from Yale University and his B.A. from Gettysburg College.
- Author(s)Richard A Hutch
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/06/1991
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleToronto Studies in Religion
- Series Part/Volume Number10
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1991
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight620 g
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.