All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionReligious freedom is a foundational value of the United States, but t all religious mirities have been shielded from religious persecution in America. This book examines why the state has acted to protect some religious mirities while allowing others to be persecuted or actively persecuting them. It details the persecution experiences of Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholics, Jews, the Nation of Islam, and orthodox Muslims in America, developing a theory for why the state intervened to protect some but t others. The book argues that the state will persecute religious mirities if state actors consider them a threat to political order, but they will protect religious mirities if they believe persecution is a greater threat to political order. From the beginning of the republic to after 9/11, religious freedom in America has depended on the state's perception of political threats.
- Author BiographyDavid T. Smith is jointly appointed in the United States Studies Centre and the School of Social and Political Sciences at the University of Sydney. He earned a PhD in Political Science from the University of Michigan and was a University Medallist and First Class Honours graduate from the University of Sydney. His research focuses on political relations between governments and religious communities in the US and other countries with a focus on Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.
- Author(s)David T. Smith
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication12/11/2015
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Social Theory, Religion & Politics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus.
- Weight420 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.