All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Relive, leading historians of the media arts grapple with this dilemma: how can we speak of new media and at the same time write the histories of these arts? These scholars and practitioners redefine the nature of the field, focusing on the materials of history -- the materials through which the past is mediated. Drawing on the tools of media archaeology and the history and philosophy of media, they propose a new materialist media art history. The contributors consider the idea of history and the artwork's moment in time; the intersection of geography and history in regional practice, illustrated by examples from eastern Europe, Australia, and New Zealand; the contradictory scales of evolution, life cycles, and bodily rhythms in bio art; and the history of the future -- how the future has been imagined, planned for, and established as a vector throughout the history of new media arts. These essays, written from widely diverse critical perspectives, capture a dynamic field at a moment of productive ferment. ContributorsSusan Ballard, Brogan Bunt, Andres Burba, Jon Cates, John Comos, Martin Constable, Sean Cubitt, Francesca Franco, Darko Fritz, Zhang Ga, Monika Gorska-Olesinska, Ross Harley, Jens Hauser, Stephen Jones, Douglas Kahn, Ryszard W. Kluszczynski, Caroline Seck Langill, Leon Marvell, Rudy Rucker, Edward A. Shanken, Stelarc, Adele Tan, Paul Thomas, Darren Tofts, Joanna Walewska
- Author BiographyPaul Thomas is Associate Professor in the College of Fine Art at the University of New South Wales and Associate Professor at Curtin University of Technology.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication03/12/2013
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleLeonardo Book Series
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note73 color illus.
- Weight1035 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byPaul Thomas,Sean Cubitt
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.