Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $55.21Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $13.00Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRemarkable Discoveries shows how scientists have made great discoveries that have pushed back the frontiers of kwledge and have changed the way we look at the world. Frank Ashall, scientist and writer, takes us on a magical mystery tour of eighteen major scientific discoveries. Electricity, X-rays, DNA fingerprinting and the Big Bang are but a few of the achievements on which the author writes. We delve into the world of the researcher and experience the excitement as each discovery is unfolded. Can we thank chance or just intelligence and hard work for the scientists' success? The personalities, the trials, the triumphs are all here. Remarkable Discoveries takes the reader on an exhilarating tour through some of the major scientific discoveries that have benefited humanity.
- Author BiographyFrank Ashall is a Doctor of Medicine, a Doctor of Biochemistry, and a campaigner for human rights in healthcare. He obtained a first-class honours degree in biochemistry and a doctorate from the University of Oxford, then spent thirteen years doing biochemical research to Assistant Professor level. His research involved studies of the biochemistry of cancer cells, then later on, the biochemistry of parasitic organisms, in particular the proteases of Trypanosoma cruzi, the cause of Chagas' disease. He left research to do a medical degree (MD) in the USA, where he did his internship and residency, and practised as a physician in internal medicine there for eleven years. Currently he is working as a Professor of Biochemistry at Addis Ababa University/Black Lion Hospital, as a volunteer with Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) UK. He is an enthusiastic supporter for human rights, particularly in healthcare. He is an active campaigner against tobacco, its adverse health effects on people and society, and against the tobacco industry. In particular, he is a strong opponent of the increase in advertising and marketing of tobacco products in developing countries, where smoking rates are generally on the rise, afflicting the world's poor with further health burdens. He has written over thirty-five academic articles and numerous newspaper articles on popular science. He has also given numerous talks to the general public on preventive medicine issues.
- Author(s)Frank Ashall
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication27/06/1996
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note35 b/w illus.
- Weight430 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.