Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionThis much-anticipated publication will have an introductory text by well-kwn writer Masayo Nonaka, curator of the exhibition Women Surrealists in Mexico and author of numerous books on Mexican surrealism. Masayo's text will offer a unique insight into the life and work of Remedios Varo. Richly illustrated, the volume will present the painter's most important works. Through the forthcoming exhibition In Wonderland: The Surrealist Adventures of Women Artists in Mexico and the United States, to be held at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) in 2012 and then at a venue in Canada, Remedios Varo's work will also gain exposure to a wider audience.
- Author BiographyRemedios Varo y Uranga (1908-1963) was raised in a traditional middle-class family in Spain and rigorously trained at the prestigious San Fernando Academy in Madrid, Dali's alma mater. Varo first found her place in the bohemian avant-garde group in Barcelona. After fleeing the Spanish Civil War with surrealist poet Benjamin Peret, she joined the circle of surrealists in Paris in 1937, and her experimental works were included in surrealist publications and exhibitions. The outbreak of World War II forced her to flee Nazi-occupied Paris. She eventually found refuge in Mexico with Peret, who would later become her husband. She remained there until her untimely death in 1963. For some ten years, from the mid 1950s to 1963, Varo devoted herself to producing her intricate fairy tales, rich with subtle wit, humour and fantasy, for which she has been acclaimed as one of the most talented women surrealists in 20th century art.
- Author(s)Remedios Varo
- PublisherRM Verlag SL
- Date of Publication28/09/2012
- LanguageEnglish & Spanish
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationBarcelona
- Country of PublicationSpain
- ImprintRM Verlag SL
- Content NoteFull color throughout
- Weight907 g
- Width240 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.