About this product
- DescriptionGrowing up is a universal experience, but the particularities of homeland, culture, ethnicity, religion, family, and so on make every childhood unique. To give Western readers insight into what growing up in the Middle East was like in the twentieth century, this book gathers thirty-six original memoirs written by Middle Eastern men and women about their own childhoods. Elizabeth Warck Fernea, a well-kwn writer of books and documentary films about women and the family in the Middle East, has collected stories of childhoods spent in Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Leban, Morocco, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, and Turkey. The accounts span the entire twentieth century, a full range of ethnicities and religions, and the social spectrum from aristocracy to peasantry. They are grouped by eras, for which Fernea provides a concise historical sketch, and include a brief biography of each contributor. The introduction by anthropologist Robert A. Fernea sets the memoirs in the larger context of Middle Eastern life and culture. As a collection, the memoirs offer an unprecedented opportunity to look at the same period in history in the same region of the world from a variety of very different remembered experiences. At times dramatic, humorous, or tragic, and always deeply felt, the memoirs document the diversity and richness of people's lives in the modern Middle East.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Warnock Fernea (1927-2008) was Professor of Comparative Literature and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Texas at Austin.
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2002
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note36 b&w illus.
- Weight794 g
- Width154 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Introduction byRobert A. Fernea
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.37New
- AU $21.29New
- AU $24.95New
- AU $20.04New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.91New
- AU $11.60Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.80New
- AU $32.15New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $19.00Trending at AU $21.29
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.81
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.51
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.80
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $25.16
- AU $57.72Trending at AU $62.56
- AU $77.29Trending at AU $94.90
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.