All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $49.60Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionWho was Paul of Tarsus? Radical visionary of a new age? Gender-liberating progressive? Great defender of orthodoxy? In Remembering Paul, Benjamin L. White offers a critique of early Christian claims about the real Paul in the second century C.E.a period in which apostolic memory was highly contestedand sets these ancient contests alongside their modern counterpart: attempts to rescue the historical Paul from his canical entrapments. Examining numerous early Christian sources, White argues that Christians of the second century had access to the real Paul. Rather, they possessed mediations of Paul as a personaidealized images transmitted in the context of communal memories of the Apostle. Through the selection, combination, and interpretation of pieces of a diverse earlier layer of the Pauline tradition, Christians defended images of the Apostle that were important for forming collective identity. As products of memory, images of Paul exhibit unique mixtures of continuity with and change from the past. Ancient discourses on the real Paul, thus, like their modern counterparts, are problematic. Through a host of exclusionary practices, the real Paul, whose authoritative persona carries authority as the first window into Christianity, was and continues to be invoked as a wedge to gain traction for the conservation of ideology.
- Author BiographyBejamin L. White is Assistant Professor of Religion at Clemson University where he specializes in ancient and modern interpretations of the New Testament, the reconstruction of Christian origins, and the development of early Christianities. He received a Ph.D. in Ancient Mediterranean Religions from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Author(s)Benjamin L. White
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication02/10/2014
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Weight646 g
- Width163 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.