All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionProduced in partnership with The National Archives, this title looks at the trenches of World War One. Timed for the anniversary of World War One this title uses material and images from The National Archives to tell the story of the Trenches. We look at how the war began and how the trenches were created - from single holes to vast networks running through Northern France. We look at what the trenches were like for the soldiers who lived in them; their daily routine, the work, food and water, hygiene and stress. We look at the fighting, the casualties and medical facilities. From the most dangerous jobs to the Big Pushes, we cover all aspects of trench life. War in the Trenches then takes a look behind the lines and how soldiers spent their time away from the front line; where did they go? What did they spend their pay on? Did they get on with the locals? In additon to this, we take a look at the many things that affected soldiers' lives, such as discipline, and how they coped with the strain of warfare with humour and the enterainment that was provided for them. This title ends with the end of the war, taking a look at the closing stages of the fighting, and then at the battlefields and cemeteries today. In this indepth look at War in the Trenches, we remember those who fought so bravely in the Great War, 1914-1918. This title is perfect for study of the trenches and of World War One. As we reach the centenary of the start of the fighting, it is an ideal way to look back at the lives of those who fought. A glossary and index support the title, and a Further Information section suggestes websites, books and places to visit for those wishing to do more research on the topic.
- Author BiographyPeter Hicks teaches history and archaeology and has a special enthusiasm for 'digging up the past'. He has wide experience of writing about history for children.
- Author(s)Peter Hicks
- PublisherHachette Children's Group
- Date of Publication24/07/2014
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWayland (Publishers) Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations (black and white, and colour), maps (colour)
- Weight238 g
- Width216 mm
- Height285 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Educational LevelUK School Key Stage 2
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $169.18
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $70.56
- AU $15.16Trending at AU $23.80
- AU $33.79Trending at AU $49.84
- AU $24.46Trending at AU $29.64
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $6.53
- AU $20.71Trending at AU $24.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.