Renaissance Siena: Art for a City by Carol Plazzotta, Alessandro Angelini, Fabrizio Nevola, Philippa Jackson, Luke Syson (Hardback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $86.04Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $77.94+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSienese art was very deliberately shaped and sustained by the patronage of powerful and wealthy families, such as the Petrucci, Piccolomini and the Spanchi, to provide an artistic language for an ambitious city. These commissions drew on Siena's famed decorative traditions and introduced the influences of foreign artists, such as Sigrelli, Pintoricchio and Raphael. Rarely enslaved to the emerging naturalistic convention, a direct line can be traced from Sienese artists such as Vecchietta and Francesco di Giorgio to Matteo di Giovanni, Neroccio de' Landi, Pietro Orioli and Beccafumi. These artists combined exquisite colour, decoration, sinuous line and delicate beauty, with ambitious compositions and figure style. This beautiful catalogue reveals Sienese painting, drawing and sculpture as one of the most distinctive, elegant and moving schools of Italian art, created during a period of fascinating power shifts within the city itself.
- Author BiographyAlessandro Angelini is Associate Professor of Modern Art at the University of Siena. Hugo Chapman is Assistant Keeper of Prints and Drawings at the British Museum. Gabriele Fattorini is assistant at Fondazione Musei Senesi, Siena. Philippa Jackson is a historian of Sienese cultural history. Fabrizio Nevola teaches at the University of Siena. Jackson and Nevola are co-editors of Beyond the Palio: Urbanism and Ritual in Renaissance Siena (2006). Xavier F. Salomon is Curator at Dulwich Picture Gallery. Luke Syson is Curator of Italian Paintings 1460-1500; Simona De Nepi is Assistant Curator; Carol Plazzotta is Myojin Curator of Italian Paintings 1500-1600. All three are based at the National Gallery, London.
- Author(s)Alessandro Angelini,Carol Plazzotta,Fabrizio Nevola,Luke Syson,Philippa Jackson
- PublisherNational Gallery Company Ltd
- Date of Publication26/10/2007
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleNational Gallery London
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Gallery Company Ltd
- Content Note172 colour illustrations
- Weight2381 g
- Width245 mm
- Height290 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.