All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA historic shift has occurred in the organizational structures through which the lower classes in Latin America express voice and find political representation. With the political and ecomic reforms of the 1980s and 1990s, networks of community-based associations and ngovernmental organizations replaced party-affiliated labor unions as the primary organizations to which the lower classes turned. This volume examines the new 'interest regime' in Argentina, Chile, Peru, and Venezuela through two extensive surveys - one of individuals and one of associations - undertaken in those nations' capital cities. Contrary to common perceptions, the new interest regime is neither a vibrant, automous civil society r a set of weak, atomized organizations. Participation in associations is high, especially compared to other ways in which individuals pursue collective interests, and associations more frequently coordinate and engage the state than has sometimes been assumed. However, various forms of interaction with the state pose a classic trade-off between representation and state control, and the new interest regime is marked by representational distortion, in that the lower classes are less likely to use the new structures than the middle classes. Within these general patterns, distinct national models are emerging. This volume represents the most ambitious and systematic effort to date to examine individual participation and associational life in Latin America and to carry out a cross-national analysis of new forms of political representation.
- Author BiographyRuth Berins Collier is Heller Professor of Political Science at the University of California, Berkeley. Samuel Handlin is a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Political Science at the University of California, Berkeley.
- PublisherPennsylvania State University Press
- Date of Publication06/01/2010
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPennsylvania State University Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight733 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edited byRuth Berins Collier,Samuel Handlin
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.