All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRepresenting Youth with Disability on Television is a complex and multidimensional mainstream cultural discourse that examines specific stereotypes in fictional programming. The book draws attention to the group labeled as disabled, which is often marginalized, misrepresented, and misunderstood in the media, by analyzing the popular television programs Glee, Breaking Bad, and Parenthood. To obtain a more rigorous account of the way that youth (9-18 years of age) with disability are framed on television, this analysis examines the following issues: how research on popular culture is contextualized within social theory; the theoretical perspectives on representations of disability in popular culture; and the various contexts, genres, media, representations, and definitions of youth with disability in popular culture. The text also outlines the historical growth of disability, which is crucial for a discussion regarding the changing dimensions of popular culture. Critical hermeneutics, content analysis, and methodological bricolage are the melange of methodologies used to closely examine the dominant models of disability (social vs. medical) used in the portrayal of disabled youth on television today.
- Author BiographyDana Hasson (PhD philosophy of education, Department of Integrated Studies in Education, McGill University) is an educational consultant and school counselor for a non-profit organization. Her research interests include media literacy and critical media studies, critical disability studies in education, technology, and critical pedagogy.
- Author(s)Dana Hasson
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication28/02/2016
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleCritical Qualitative Research
- Series Part/Volume Number23
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.03Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.