All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhilst the politics of reproduction have been at the heart of feminist struggles for over a century and a half, their analysis has t yet come to occupy a central place in the interdisciplinary study of citizenship. This volume takes up the challenge posed by Bryan Turner, when he ted the absence of any systematic thinking about familial relations, reproduction and citizenship (2008), and offers the first major global collection of work exploring this nexus of practices and political contestations. The book brings together citizenship scholars from across Europe, the Americas, and Australia to develop feminist and queer analyses of the relationship between citizenship and reproduction, and to explore the ways in which citizenship is reproduced. Extending the foundational work of feminist political theorists and sociologists who have interrogated the public/private dichotomy on which traditional civic republican and liberal understandings of citizenship rest, the contributors examine the biological, sexual, and techlogical realities of natality, and the social realities of the intimate intergenerational material and affective labour that are generative of citizens, and that serve to reproduce membership of, and belonging to, states, nations, societies, and thus of citizenship itself. This book was published as a special issue of Citizenship Studies.
- Author BiographySasha Roseneil is Professor of Sociology and Social Theory, and Director of the Birkbeck Institute for Social Research, at Birkbeck, University of London, UK. Isabel Crowhurst is a Lecturer in Sociology at the University of Essex, Colchester, UK. Ana Cristina Santos is Senior Researcher in Sociology in the Centro de Estudos Sociais Laboratorio Associado, University of Coimbra, Portugal. Mariya Stoilova is a Lecturer in Sociology at Birkbeck, University of London, UK.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/08/2015
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight385 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Edited byAna Cristina Santos,Isabel Crowhurst,Mariya Stoilova,Sasha Roseneil
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.