All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow have state policies influenced the development of Japan's telecommunications, computer hardware, computer software, and semiconductor industries and their stagnation since the 1990s? Marie Anchordoguy's book examines how the performance of these industries and the ecomy as a whole are affected by the socially embedded nature of Japan's capitalist system, which she calls communitarian capitalism. Reprogramming Japan shows how the institutions and policies that emerged during and after World War II to maintain communitarian rms, such as the lifetime employment system, seniority-based wages, enterprise unions, a centralized credit-based financial system, industrial groups, the main bank corporate governance system, and industrial policies, helped promote high tech industries. When conditions shifted in the 1980s and 1990s, these institutions and policies did t suit the new environment, in which techlogical change was rapid and unpredictable and foreign products could longer be legally reverse-engineered. Despite ecomic stagnation, leaders were slow to change because of deep social commitments. Once the crisis became acute, the bureaucracy and corporate leaders started to contest and modify key institutions and practices. Rather than change at different times according to their specific ecomic interests, Japanese firms and the state have made similar slow, incremental changes.
- Author BiographyMarie Anchordoguy is Professor of Japan Studies at the Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies at the University of Washington. She is the author of Computers, Inc.: Japan's Challenge to IBM.
- Author(s)Marie Anchordoguy
- PublisherCornell University Press
- Date of Publication10/11/2005
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Series TitleCornell Studies in Political Economy
- Place of PublicationIthaca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCornell University Press
- Content Note16, 10 graphs, 6 tables
- Weight571 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.