About this product
- DescriptionRescuers of Cypress: Learning from Disaster is a living document, a testimony of the dramatic acts of the men and women who transcended their kwn abilities to save lives and retrieve bodies from the Interstate-880 Cypress Street viaduct following the October 17, 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. The firefighters, pararescuers, transportation workers, and coronerinvestigators who informed this study reflect courage and human possibility as well as a sense of shared vulnerability. The most striking thread throughout the story is the reservoir of shared cultural meanings related to personal commitment, dedication to saving lives, avoidance of suffering, confrontation with death, and the solace of families. The stories capture a sense of community and solidarity that prevailed in one particular moment in history.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Cynthia M. Stuhlmiller is an associate professor at the University of Tromso, Norway. She is a former senior lecturer at Massey University, New Zealand and a former Fulbright Senior Scholar from the University of Tromso. Her background includes over 10 years of clinical work with Vietnam combat veterans, teaching at the University of San Francisco, and volunteer work for American Red Cross's disaster action team. Her research interests and publications are related to traumatic stress, disaster response, psychosocial aspects of seasonal variation, action-based therapy, interpretive phenomenology, narrative picturing, and the potential dangers of diagnostic disordering.
- Author(s)Cynthia M Stuhlmiller
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/05/1996
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleInternational Healthcare Ethics
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1996
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight500 g
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.43New
- AU $65.08Used
- AU $78.89New
- AU $105.79New
- AU $75.81Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.58
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.11
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.