All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis new textbook addresses the neglect of practical research methods in cultural studies. It provides students with clearly written overviews of research methods in cultural studies, along with guidelines on how to put these methods into operation. It advocates a multi-method approach, with students drawing from a pool of techniques and approaches suitable for their own topics of investigation. The book covers the following main areas: * Drawing on experience, and studying how narratives make sense of experience. * Investigating production processes in the cultural industries, and the consumption and assimilation of cultural products by audiences and fans. * Taking both quantitative and qualitative approaches to the study of cultural life. * Analysing visual images and both spoken and written forms of discourse. * Exploring cultural memory and historical representation. The contributors, along with Michael Pickering, are Martin Barker, Aeron Davis, David Deacon, Emily Keightley, Steph Lawler, Anneke Meyer, Virginia Nightingale, and Sarah Pink. The book is designed for use by students on upper-level undergraduate and taught Masters-level courses as well as postgraduate research students and cultural studies researchers more generally. It will be of ermous value across all fields of study involved in cultural enquiry and analysis.
- Author BiographyMichael Pickering has published in the areas of social and cultural history, the sociology of art and culture, and media and communication studies. His most recent books include Researching Communications (Oxford University Press, 2007); Blackface Minstrelsy in Britain (Ashgate, 2008); Research Methods for Cultural Studies (Edinburgh University Press, 2008); and Popular Culture, a four-volume edited collection (Sage, 2010). He is currently working with Emily Keightley on a book entitled Creative Memory: Experience and the Mnemonic Imagination.
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication25/02/2008
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleResearch Methods for the Arts and Humanities
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Note8 black & white illustrations
- Weight396 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byGabriele Griffin,Michael Pickering
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.95
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.