All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book describes the fundamentals of residual stresses in friction stir welding and reviews the data reported for various materials. Residual stresses produced during manufacturing processes lead to distortion of structures. It is critical to understand and mitigate residual stresses. From the onset of friction stir welding, claims have been made about the lower magnitude of residual stresses. The lower residual stresses are partly due to lower peak temperature and shorter time at temperature during friction stir welding. A review of residual stresses that result from the friction stir process and strategies to mitigate it have been presented. Friction stir welding can be combined with additional in-situ and ex-situ manufacturing steps to lower the final residual stresses. Modeling of residual stresses highlights the relationship between clamping constraint and development of distortion. For many applications, management of residual stresses can be critical for qualification of component/structure. It reviews magnitude of residual stresses in various metals and alloys. It discusses mitigation strategies for residual stresses during friction stir welding. It covers fundamental origin of residual stresses and distortion.
- Author BiographyRajiv S. Mishra is a professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, and Site Director, NSF IUCRC for Friction Stir Processing, at the University of North Texas. Dr. Mishra's publication record includes 255 papers with an h-index of 39. Out of these, 10 of his papers have more than 100 citations. He has many 'firsts' in the field of friction stir welding and processing. He co-authored the first review paper (2005), co-edited the first book on the subject (2007), edited/co-edited seven TMS symposium proceedings, and served as guest editor for Viewpoint Set in Scripta Materialia (2008). He also has three patents in this field. He published the first paper on friction stir processing (2000) as a microstructural modification tool.
- Author(s)John A. Baumann,Nilesh Kumar,Rajiv Mishra
- PublisherElsevier Science & Technology
- Date of Publication21/11/2013
- SubjectMechanical Engineering
- Series TitleFriction Stir Welding and Processing Book Series
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintButterworth-Heinemann Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight95 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine3 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.