All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Patricia Hampl s first book of poems, Woman Before an Aquarium, appeared in 1978, Choice called it a generous . . . first collection, and Virginia Quarterly Review characterized her work as a poetry of accumulated details, strikingly presented. Now, after the success of her brilliant prose memoir, A Romantic Education, which won a Houghton Mifflin Literary Fellowship, Hampl has taken her poetry a step further in her new collection, Resort. The classical themes of beauty and love, loss and memory have always formed the core of Hampl s work. Here, they are treated in a series of shorter poems and then gathered powerfully into the long title poem of the collection. Set in a small, tumbledown cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, Resort follows the season of summer as Hampl explores a period of solitude following a loss, employing as a touchstone the image of the wild rose as it blooms and withers. In essence a poem about healing oneself through paying attention to the world outside, Resort has been called by poet Sandra McPherson major, richly entangled, ebullient . . . all of a sudden my favorite long poem.
- Author BiographyPATRICIA HAMPL s most recent book, I Could Tell You Stories, was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award for General Nonfiction in 2000. Her short story The Bill Collector s Vacation appeared in the Pushcart Prize XXIII in 1999. Her prose works include the memoirs A Romantic Education and Virgin Time. Besides Resort, she has also published another collection of poems, Woman Before an Aquarium, and a prose meditation on Antonin Dvorak s 1893 visit to Iowa titled Spillville. She was a 1990 MacArthur Fellow, and is Regents Professor at the University of Minnesota. She is also a member of the permanent faculty of the Prague Summer Series.
- Author(s)Professor of English Patricia Hampl
- PublisherCarnegie-Mellon University Press
- Date of Publication12/04/2001
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleCarnegie Mellon Classic Contemporary Series: Poetry
- Place of PublicationPittsburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCarnegie-Mellon University Press
- Weight204 g
- Width137 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.46
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.