All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStudents of St. Augustine might well assume that he identified restlessness exclusively with the impulses of the heart and the range of affectivities shaping human choices. But Augustine was also preoccupied with the dynamics of the restless mind prompted by curiosity. His extensive discussions of curiosity (which he identified with the lust of the eyes of Scripture) reveal a profound psychological discovery on his part, namely, the cognitive appetitiveness that provides the stimulus to our ongoing search for kwledge. This book explores the metaphysical, epistemological, and moral implications of curiosity in Augustine's writings, against the background of the classical, scriptural, and patristic traditions. In broader terms, it puts Augustine in conversation with later currents of thought, assessing how his deliberations on the curious disposition say something significant about the scope and limits of human inquiry, particularly in the context of scientific investigation.
- Author BiographyJoseph Torchia O.P., is Professor of Philosophy at Providence College, USA, Regent of Studies for the Dominican Province of St. Joseph (Eastern USA), and an Associate Editor of The Thomist. He holds doctorates in philosophy (Fordham University) and in Early Christian Studies (The Catholic University of America). His wide-ranging publications in philosophy and historical theology include Plotinus, Tolma and the Descent of Being: An Exposition and Analysis (1993); Creatio ex nihilo and the Theology of St. Augustine: The Anti-Manichaean Polemic and Beyond (1999); and Exploring Personhood: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Human Nature (2008).
- Author(s)Joseph Torchia
- PublisherMarquette University Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2013
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleMarquette Studies in Philosophy
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 83
- Place of PublicationWI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMarquette University Press
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.