All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCharles II was restored to the rule of England, Scotland and Ireland in 1660, less than twelve years after the execution of his father, Charles I, and the ensuing republican experiment in government. Popular at first, the Restoration nevertheless failed to provide lasting settlement in any of the British kingdoms. Restoration and Revolution in Britain examines the political history of these kingdoms, from the Interregnum through Britain's eighteenth-century rise to power. Written especially for students approaching the Restoration for the first time, this essential introduction: - assesses the reasons for the failure of settlement in the reigns of Charles and of his brother, James II - integrates the histories of Charles's different realms - examines the many connections between politics and Protestant religious disagreements - provides helpful historical context for understanding a range of contemporary authors such as Bunyan, Locke and Milton - concludes with an examination of the Glorious Revolution of 1688-89 and explains why settlement was finally achieved through revolution rather than through restoration.
- Author BiographyGARY S. DE KREY is Professor of History at St Olaf College, USA. A past president of the Midwest Conference on British Studies, his publications include London and the Restoration, 1659-1683 (2005) and numerous journal and anthology articles about Restoration England.
- Author(s)Gary S. De Krey
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication11/05/2007
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleBritish Studies Series
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notemaps
- Weight475 g
- Width140 mm
- Height217 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.