Restoried Selves: Autobiographies of Queer Asian-Pacific-American Activists by Kevin Kumashiro, John DeCecco (Hardback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $162.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $202.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRestoried Selves: Autobiographies of Queer Asian / Pacific American Activists presents the first-person accounts of 20 activists--life stories that work against common stereotypes, shattering misconceptions and dispelling misinformation. These autobiographies challenge familial and cultural expectations and values that have traditionally forced queer Asian / Pacific Americans into silent shame because of their sexual orientation and/or ethnicity. Authors share t only their experiences growing up but also how those experiences led them to become social activists, speaking out against oppression. Many harmful untruths--or stories --about queer Asian-Pacific Americans have been repeated so often, they are accepted as fact. Restoried Selves: Autobiographies of Queer Asian / Pacific American Activists provides a forum for voices often igred in academic literature to re-story themselves, addressing a range of experiences that includes cultural differences and values, conflicts between different generations in a family or between different groups in a community, and difficulties and rewards of coming out. Those giving voice to their stories through narrative and other writing genres include the transgendered and intersexed, community activists, youths, and parents. The stories told in Restoried Selves: Autobiographies of Queer Asian / Pacific American Activists reflect on: * personal experiences--based on country of origin, educational background, religion, gender, and age * populations served by activism, including the working poor, immigrants, adoptees, youth, women, and families * different arenas of activism, including schools, governments, social services, and the Internet * issues targeted by activism, including affirmative action, HIV/AIDS education, mental health, interracial relationships, and sexual violence * institutions in need of change, including legal, religious, and educational entities * and much more! Restoried Selves: Autobiographies of Queer Asian / Pacific American Activists is an essential read for academics and researchers working in Asian American studies, ethnic studies, gender studies, and queer studies, and for LGBTQ youth and their parents, teachers, and social service providers.
- Author(s)John DeCecco,Kevin Kumashiro
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication04/11/2003
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationBinghamton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHaworth Press Inc
- Content Notebibliographical references , index
- Weight430 g
- Width156 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byKevin K. Kumashiro
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.