All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionResurgent Adventures with Britannia builds upon Wm Roger Louis's stimulating and acclaimed series, Adventures with Britannia, and draws upon a distinguished array of writers and scholars - historians, political scientists, journalists, velists, biographers and English literature specialists - to guide the reader through a fascinating labyrinth of British culture, history and politics. They provide a unique insight into the pivotal themes, both political and cultural, which have shaped 20th century state and society. There is detailed consideration of the works of leading figures in art, literature, politics and scholarship - including portraits of Hugh Trevor-Roper by Neal Ascherson, Nye Bevan by Kenneth O. Morgan and Margaret Thatcher by Archie Brown - and how these stellar figures have been deeply affected by war, the imperial experience, decolonization, the enduring problems of the Middle East, Communism, the Cold War and the British-America connections. And there are assessments by leading historians of statesmen, and episodes in global history, which have shaped the modern age. The result is a rich mix of original ideas, historical and literary allusion, personality and anecdote, which together provide an intellectual adventure into the mainsprings of modern British and international society.
- Author BiographyWm. Roger Louis is Kerr Professor of English History and Culture and Distinguished Teaching Professor, The University of Texas at Austin. He is Editor-in-Chief of The Oxford History of the British Empire and the author of many books including Ends of British Imperialism: The Scramble for Empire, Suez and Decolonisation (I.B.Tauris), The British Empire in the Middle East, 1945-1951 and Imperialism at Bay, 1941-1945.
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication18/12/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations, figures
- Weight680 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byWm Roger Louis
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.