All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRethinking Children's Play examines attitudes towards, and experiences of, children's play. Fraser Brown and Michael Patte draw on a wide range of thought, research and practice from different fields and countries to debate, challenge and re-appraise long held beliefs, attitudes and ways of working and living with children in the play environment. Children need to play and the benefits of play are many and varied, but they are too often underestimated by parents, educators, politicians and society in general. The authors apply a playwork perspective to a wide range of settings populated by children, both formal and informal, to explore the idea that children's learning and development derives substantially from their opportunities to engage with a rich play environment that is supportive of the play process. Thoughts are provoked through examples of research, reflections on research, activities, key points and guidance on further reading. Rethinking Children's Play is essential for all those studying childhood at undergraduate and graduate level and of great interest to those working with children in any field.
- Author BiographyFraser Brown is Professor of Playwork at Leeds Metropolitan University, UK, where he is Course Leader of the BA (Hons) Playwork. He was Director of the playwork training agency Children First, has held advisory posts with Playboard and the National Playing Fields Association (NPFA) and managed a range of projects for the North West Play Association. Michael Patte is a Distinguished Fulbright Scholar and Associate Professor of Education at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, USA. He is a past president of The Association for the Study of Play and co-editor of the International Journal of Play.
- Author(s)Fraser Brown,Michael Patte
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication20/12/2012
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleNew Childhoods
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight452 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Series Edited byPhil Jones
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.03Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.