All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRethinking God as Gift is situated at the intersection of philosophy, critical theory and theology. The first sustained study of the work of Jean-Luc Marion in English, it offers a unique perspective on contemporary questions and their theological relevance. Taking its point of departure from the problem of the gift as articulated by Jacques Derrida, who argues that the conditions of possibility of the gift are also its conditions of impossibility, Horner pursues a series of questions concerning the nature of thought, the viability of phemelogy, and, most urgently, the possibility of grace. For Marion, phemelogy, as the thought of the given, offers a path for philosophy to proceed without being implicated in metaphysics. His retrieval of several important insights of Edmund Husserl, along with his reading of Martin Heidegger and Emmanuel L+--vinas, enables him to work out a phemelogy where even GCGBPimpossibleGC[yen] phemena such as revelation and the gift might be examined. In this important confrontation between Marion and Derrida issues vital to the negotiation of postmodern concerns in philosophy and theology emerge with vigour. The careful elucidation of those issues in an interdisciplinary context, and the snapshot it provides of the state of contemporary debate, make Rethinking God as Gift an important contribution to theological and philosophical discussion.
- Author BiographyRobyn Horner is Professor of Religion and Theology at Monash University in Australia.
- Author(s)Robyn Horner
- PublisherFordham University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2001
- Series TitlePerspectives in Continental Philosophy
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 19
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFordham University Press
- Weight427 g
- Width5830 mm
- Height3895 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.05New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.41
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.