All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRethinking the 21st Century brings much needed context and perspective to the security problems we face today. In recent years, the 'Bush Doctrine' - that the security threats we w face are entirely unprecedented - has echoed around the world. Global security and stability is w challenged t only by states and nuclear war, but by insurgency, disease, environmental degradation and military privatisation. Yet this creates a deep sense of disconnect in the way we perceive politics, and can be dangerously stark and ahistorical. The chapters here show that, far from being a clean break, the 'new' problems faced today might actually have 'old' solutions. What can Locke tell us about terrorists? What does Bentham have to say about sanctions? What are the ethics of outsourcing war to private companies? By looking back to decades and even centuries of ethical analysis and political theory, this book provides fascinating insight into all these questions.
- Author BiographyAmy E. Eckert is Assistant Professor of Political Science at Metropolitan State College of Denver. Her current research focuses on the growing privatization of war and just war theory. Her work has appeared in journals including International Studies Quarterly and the Journal of Global Ethics. She is President of the International Studies Association - West and a member of the executive board of the International Ethics section of the International Studies Association. Laura Sjoberg is an Assistant Professor at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. Her research focuses on mainstreaming gender in the field of security studies. She is author of Gender, Justice, and the Wars in Iraq (2006) and (with Caron E. Gentry) of Mothers, Monsters, Whores: Women's Violence in Global Politics (2007). Her work has been published in the International Feminist Journal of Politics, International Politics, International Studies Quarterly, and International Studies Perspectives.
- PublisherZed Books Ltd
- Date of Publication14/05/2009
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintZed Books Ltd
- Weight363 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine138 mm
- Edited byAmy Eckert,Laura Sjoberg
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $20.56Trending at AU $28.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.65
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.