All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe end of the Cold War gave rise to much talk of a 'new' global order and debate about just how new or orderly it was and would be. Attempts to analyse the nature of this order have been many and various. This important new text assesses the main approaches and offers its own analysis arguing that, while chaos and raw anarchy are t on the cards, each of the major domains of power - security, ecomics, institutions and values - contains elements of potentially major instability. Interstate war may be receding, but there are simple solutions to comprehensive violent conflict inside fragile states, and the n-democratic great powers continue to have major regional ambitions. There is a global liberal market ecomy, but it is increasingly unequal and its financial infrastructure remains fragile and crisis-prone. There is a comprehensive set of international institutions but they are rather weak and in need of reform. Liberal values are minally endorsed by most states but they are in internal conflict and make up firm basis for a stable world order. Finally, world order is threatened from within because the social compacts, political infrastructures, and national ecomic capacities of many states will decline. This will have negative consequences for the willingness to bring about effective global governance. The result may be a destructive dynamic which might take us towards a Hobbesian world in ways which Hobbes himself had never imagined.
- Author BiographyGeorg Sorensen is Professor of International Politics and Economics, University of Aarhus, Denmark.
- Author(s)Georg Sorensen
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication09/09/2016
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleRethinking World Politics
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Notebiography
- Weight331 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edition Statement1st ed. 2017
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.