Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.96
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionA federal prosecutor in Mississippi for over thirty years, John Hailman routinely worked with federal agents, lawyers, judges, and criminals of every type imaginable. Encouraged by the acclaim for his earlier book, From Midnight to Guntown, he has opened even more of the astonishing cases within the over thirty-five boxes full of trial stories he carried into retirement. Hailman gathers colorful exploits of eccentric modern criminals from William Faulkner's Mississippi, where savvy victims often outwit their criminal perpetrators. Characters range from rich but incompetent drug lords and nationwide gun-runners to bumbling Dixie Mafia kidnappers. The book ends with Fancy Frauds in which ingenious con men (and women) offer hilarious but surprisingly sophisticated special deals on tax-free gold mines in Mexico and bargain (but bogus) Viagra. Chapters include Guns, Bombs, and Moonshine Whiskey, Drug Kingpins Have Troubles Too, Crime Victims Fight Back, Mere Theft, and Fancy Frauds. Written to entertain and enlighten, these stories will delight any fan of the true crime genre and anyone who enjoys good writing and the skill of a master storyteller.
- Author BiographyJohn Hailman is a retired federal prosecutor from the US attorney's office in Oxford, Mississippi. He was both an inaugural Overby Fellow in Journalism and an adjunct professor of law at the University of Mississippi. He is the author of three previous books: the critically-acclaimed biography Thomas Jefferson on Wine (2006); the true-crime memoir From Midnight to Guntown: True Crime Stories from a Federal Prosecutor in Mississippi (2013), nominated Nonfiction Book of the Year by the Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters; and a book of essays on wine, food, and travel based on his nationally syndicated columns, The Search for Good Wine: From the Founding Fathers to the Modern Table (2014); all published by University Press of Mississippi.
- Author(s)John Hailman
- PublisherUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Date of Publication30/09/2015
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationJackson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Content Note32 black & white photographs
- Weight680 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.