All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA relationship between man and place has always attracted scientists', scholars', and artists' attention. Succinctly subsumed in the concept of genius loci and implicated in the art of visual and linguistic description, topography of man's existence invited debates among such disciplines as geography, ecomy, ecology, history, and philosophy. Revelations of Gloucester is a book which, including elements of all these areas of research, focuses on the variety of problems generated by the process of representing a place. Occupying a very special position on the cultural and historical map of the US, the city of Gloucester has had at least two champions of outstanding stature: Charles Olson, a leading avantgarde poet of the 1950s and 1960s whose Maximus Poems is one of the most ambitious modern attempts at creating a sequence of place-related verses, and Fitz Hugh Lane, a mid-nineteenth century American luminist painter who, from his Gloucester harbor house, investigated painterly and philosophical secrets of American light. Thus, the emphasis of the book is double: applying theoretical insights of phemelogy and deconstruction, it discusses the aesthetic and intellectual significance of both artists in relation to their home territory and tries to reconitre the metaphore of light seminal for the tradition of American transcendentalism.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Tadeusz Slawek is Professor of English and American Literature at the University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland. His books and numerous articles concentrate on the work of such poets as Robinson Jeffers, William Blake, and problems of theory of literature with particular emphasis on literature and other arts.
- Author(s)Tadeusz Slawek
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/01/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleLiterary & Cultural Theory
- Series Part/Volume Number14
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Note9 illustrations
- Weight370 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byWojciech H. Kalaga
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.