All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNationalism has become a major topic in social science research, and the contributors to Revisiting Nationalism seek to sharpen the theoretical focus of what is w a crowded field of intellectual enquiry. Their approach is fourfold. First, they question dominant theories. Second, they discuss the 'identity checklist' used to gauge whether language, folklore, history, and religion can be mobilized on behalf of nationalism. Third, they examine nationalism's dark side, when it precipitates populism or political violence. And finally, they revisit debates concerning the nature of post-nationalism and cosmopolitanism. Unlike most readers on nationalism, this book is organised t by means of country-centred or regional case studies; instead it has a thematic and transversal structure that allows the contributors to discuss theoretical, rmative, or analytical issues. It also profiles in one volume some of the key research by leading Francophone authors who have reinvigorated scholarly research into nationalism.
- Author BiographyAlain Dieckhoff is senior research fellow at CNRS, Paris. His main field of research is politics and society in Israel. His recent books include The Invention of a Nation: Zionist Thought and the Making of Modern Israel (2003) and with Remy Leveau Israeliens et Palestiniens. La guerre en partage (2003) on the Second Intifada. Christophe Jaffrelot is Director of the CERI (Centre d'Etudes et de Recherches Internationales) at Sciences Po (Paris), and research director at the CNRS (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique). His most recent publications are The Hindu Nationalist Movement and Indian Politics, 1925 to the 1990s, (1996), India's Silent Revolution: the Rise of the Low Castes in North India, (2003) and Dr. Ambedkar and Untouchability: Analysing and Fighting Caste (2005).
- PublisherC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication29/11/2005
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Edited byAlain Dieckhoff,Christophe Jaffrelot
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.