All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis special issue of American Quarterly asks powerful and poignant questions about techlogy and its effects on our bodies, minds, families, ecomies, armies, and academies. Techlogy is an entry point for American studies scholars to find new and creative ways to think through social and cultural problems. The essays in this collection provide an interdisciplinary exploration of the ways scholars of culture use the study of techlogy to examine the flows, conflicts, tensions, and hazards of American culture. Re-reading the narrative of U.S. techlogy, the contributors move beyond celebrations of exceptional tinkerers and a deterministic machine-driven sense of progress and form a more comprehensive understanding of opportunities and responsibilities that befall a nation that interweaves its identities, labors, and creative cultures with its machines. Discussing techlogies of transcendence; the cultural work of techlogical systems; techlogy and kwledge systems; and techlogy, mobility, and the body; they consider the place of American techlogies in an increasingly globalized, multi-polar, high-tech world and illuminate the relationship between techlogical positivism and the dynamics of imperialism and war.
- Author BiographyCarolyn de la Pena is an associate professor of American studies at the University of California, Davis. Siva Vaidhyanathan is an associate professor in the Department of Culture and Communication at New York University.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication09/03/2007
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleA Special Issue of American Quarterly
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note26, 26 black & white illustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byCarolyn Thomas De la Pena,Siva Vaidhyanathan
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 13
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.