All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMore than a quarter of the students who enter four-year institutions and half of those who enter two-year schools depart at the end of their first year. This phemen is kwn as the departure puzzle, and for years, the most important body of work on student retention has come from sociologist Vincent Tinto. In Reworking the Student Departure Puzzle, leading scholars of the college student experience - including Tinto himself - reevaluate Tinto's interactionalist perspective, which holds that students unable to connect with either the academic or social subsystems of their institutions are likely to leave. Recent critiques of this theory have indicated the need for either its serious revision or the development of a new theory altogether. The contributors to this volume offer a variety of both theoretical and methodological perspectives on student departure, with additional chapters covering mirity student retention, the link between college choice and student persistence, and the effect of the classroom experience on the student's choice. The recommendations made here will t only reinvigorate research on this important topic but will also lead administrators to better mana
- Author BiographyJohn M. Braxton is associate professor in the Department of Leadership and Organizations at Vanderbilt University's Peabody College and editor of the series Vanderbilt Issues in Higher Education, in which this volume appears. His many books include Faculty Misconduct in Collegiate Teaching.
- PublisherVanderbilt University Press
- Date of Publication31/10/2000
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Series TitleVanderbilt Issues in Higher Education S.
- Place of PublicationTennessee
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVanderbilt University Press
- Content Notetables, bibliography, index
- Weight612 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edited byJohn M. Braxton
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.