All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy is it necessary to strike while the iron is hot? What makes a good liquid crystal display? Why is rubber so elastic? These questions can be answered through rheophysics, using the mechanics of continuous media at the macroscopic scale, and statistical mechanics and the physics of defects at the microscopic level. This book addresses problems involving the flow of matter, covering the main aspects of the mechanical response of fluids and solids to applied stress or strain. It includes the hydrodynamics of ordinary liquids, the elasticity and plasticity of solids, and the rheology of complex fluids such as suspensions, polymers and liquid crystals. Dislocations are described thoroughly, and special attention is given to instabilities. Concepts and physical properties are illustrated by numerous experiments, historical anecdotes, and applications to aeronautics, metallurgy, and geophysics, making this a valuable reference for researchers and graduate students in physics, engineering, and materials science.
- Author BiographyPatrick Oswald is Director of Research with CNRS at the Physics Laboratory at the Ecole Normale Superieure, University of Lyon, France. His research spans many areas in soft condensed matter, including thermotropic and lyotropic liquid crystals, crystal growth, defects, plasticity and rheology.
- Author(s)Patrick Oswald
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication16/07/2009
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note174 b/w illus.
- Weight1380 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine35 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $71.84New
- AU $64.55Used
- AU $78.24New
- AU $104.93New
- AU $75.19Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $68.87
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $79.74
- AU $21.12Trending at AU $22.96
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $93.97
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.40
- AU $22.06Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $101.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.