All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExtending the feminist rhetorical project to define and model rhetorical listening. Long-igred within rhetoric and composition studies, listening has returned to the disciplinary radar. Rhetorical Listening: Identification, Gender, Whiteness argues that rhetorical listening facilitates conscious identifications needed for cross-cultural communication. Krista Ratcliffe establishes eavesdropping, listening metonymically, and listening pedagogically as approaches to rhetorical listening. She defines and models rhetorical listening, addressing identifications with gender and whiteness within public debates, scholarship, and pedagogy. Offering an approach grounded in classical rhetorical theory, Heideggerian theory, feminist theory, and critical race theory, Ratcliffe presents rhetorical listening as an invention tactic that engages spoken and written texts and supplements reading, writing, speaking, and silence as a rhetorical art. Theorizing intersections of gender and whiteness, Rhetorical Listening examines how whiteness functions as an invisible racial category and provides disciplinary and cultural reasons for the displacement of listening and for the use of rhetorical listening as a code of cross-cultural conduct. Ratcliffe presents rhetorical listening in terms of cultural logics, stances, and dominant interpretive tropes. She high-lights the modern identification theory of Kenneth Burke and the postmodern identification and disidentification theory of Diana Fuss and presents nidentification as a more productive site for rhetorical listening.
- Author BiographyKrista Ratcliffe is an associate professor of English and the director of the First-Year English Program at Marquette University. The author of Anglo-American Feminist Challenges to the Rhetorical Traditions: Virginia Woolf, Mary Daly, and Adrienne Rich and coauthor of Who's Having This Baby? Perspectives on Birthing, she has written numerous journal articles on feminism and rhetoric.
- Author(s)Krista Ratcliffe
- PublisherSouthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2005
- Series TitleStudies in Rhetorics and Feminisms
- Place of PublicationCarbondale
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSouthern Illinois University Press
- Weight349 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.