All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRhythms for Ruby is based on a true story. It is about a little girl (Gabriella) who has had her first tap dance recital and her friend Ruby, who is w in a wheelchair after having just come back to the school classroom after recuperating from being in a terrible car accident and losing her leg. Gabriella's tap dance teacher tells her about the famous, real life, one legged tap dancer Clayton Peg Leg Bates and she decides that she wants her friend to have a special leg and be able to tap dance too. The book is for children and this is as graphic as it gets. The blurb on the back of this audio book reads as follows: With prayer, determination and creative thoughtfulness, Gabriella finds a way to help her friend Ruby overcome the obstacles of her disability. Through tap dance and with the help of Mrs. Stevens, Mr. Marsh, and Miss. Karen, her tap dance teacher, Gabriella brings the whole community together with a single-minded goal. %100 of the money from the sale of this book goes to Ruby, a childhood friend of Karen Callaway Williams who lost her leg when she was hit by a car with the intent to raise $100,000 to pay off Ruby's medical bills and acquire a special leg that matches her skin and doesn't hurt.
- Author BiographyTap Dancer KAREN CALLAWAY WILLIAMS, the Producer of Rhythms for Ruby and the author of Gabriella's Tap Shoes and Rhythms for Ruby (in print and audio book), is known for being both the first African-American female tap dancer and dance captain in RIVERDANCE - THE SHOW and the only African-American female tap dancer and dance captain in RIVERDANCE - ON BROADWAY. Other Broadway credits include the Tony Award nominated Duke Ellington musical PLAY ON. She is currently featured on the cover of Flow Magazine and in the wonderful current documentary BEEN RICH ALL MY LIFE the story of the Silver Belles, having now received the honor of being a Second Generation Silver Belle. Karen has toured extensively having recently returned from Zurich Switzerland for the Zurich Tap Festival, The United Arab Emirates (Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Al Ain) with the Duke Ellington Big Band, Armenia and Romania with TAP CITY ON TOUR through the Unites States Embassy, the ALL THAT TAP TAIPEI festival in Taiwan, on Canadian soil with TAP GIANTS and Tap TEL AVIV and in Beijing, China, Canada and North America with the RIVERDANCE Flying Squad and RIVERDANCE, Boyne Company. DANCE MAGAZINE heralded her as a graceful dream with taps as happy as a song and the New York Times called her a gifted traditionalist with laughing eyes. She was a featured tap solo artist with the Detroit, Toronto and Indianapolis Symphony Orchestras and in ALL THAT JAZZ and the BSO HOLIDAY SPECTACULAR with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. In addition she was a soloist and special guest choreographer for the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. Two memorable performances were held at THE HOLE IN THE WALL GANG CAMP for Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward and at the APOLLO THEATRE with the Silver Belles for President Bill Clinton. In addition to performing, Ms. Williams has established herself as a prominent tap instructor teaching statewide on a weekly basis. Her teaching history includes Spelman College, The Alvin Ailey American Dance Center, Poly-Prep Country Day School, PPAS in Manhattan, NJPAC Dance Academy, NYC Dance Alliance, national and international tap festivals, dance camps, master classes and enrichment programs. Look for the upcoming release of her third book for children Gabriella and the Tap Dance Floor. All books are available on Amazon.com.
- Author(s)Karen Callaway Williams
- PublisherBooksurge Publishing
- Date of Publication01/02/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's General Interest & Leisure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBooksurge Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight50 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine2 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.