All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book offers the first detailed English-language examination of the Great Vietnamese Famine of 1945, which left at least a million dead, and links it persuasively to the largely unexpected Viet Minh seizure of power only months later. Drawing on extensive research in French archives, Geoffrey C. Gunn offers an important new interpretation of Japanese-Vichy French wartime ecomic exploitation of Vietnam's agricultural potential. Gunn asks whether the famine signaled a loss of the French administration's mandate of heaven, or whether the overall dire human condition was the determining factor in facilitating communist victory in August 1945. In the broader sweep of Vietnamese history, including the rise of the communist party, the picture that emerges is t only one of local victimhood at the hands of outsiders but the ermous agency on the part of the Vietnamese themselves to achieve moral victory, matter how controversial, tragic, and contested the outcome. As the author clearly demonstrates, colonial-era development strategies and contests also had their postwar sequels in the American war, just as land, land reform, and subsistence-sustainable development issues persist into the present.
- Author BiographyGeoffrey C. Gunn is professor emeritus of economics at Nagasaki University and visiting professor at the University of Macau.
- Author(s)Geoffrey C. Gunn
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication16/02/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleAsia/Pacific/Perspectives
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Note3 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white halftones, 10 tables
- Weight590 g
- Width157 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.