All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe career of this erratic genius is an extraordinary story. The son of a Cornish mine captain, Trevithick single-handed totally changed the unwieldy steam engines of Newcome and Watt to efficient prime movers with many applications, inventing in the process a vast range of widely differing machines, from high-pressure engines to the world s first railway locomotive. His immense physical strength was legendary; he could write his name on a beam six feet from the floor with half a hundredweight hanging from his thumb. Yet his strength was thing compared to his mental energy and initiative, involving schemes for mechanical refrigeration, tunnelling under the Thames, wreck salvage, agricultural machinery, land reclamation, and gun mountings. About the authorJames Hodge is a member of the Newcomen Society and was chairman of the Trevithick Society for many years.
- Author BiographyBorn in Cornwall in 1920, James Hodge worked for Power Jets Jtd during the Second World War and then with Power Jets (R&D) Ltd as Chief Engineer. A visiting professor of mechanical engineering at Columbia University in New York, he later returned to Cornwall and became Engineering Director of Holman Bros of Cambourne. He was for many years chairman of the Trevithick Society.
- Author(s)James Hodge
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication17/01/1998
- SubjectBiography: General
- Series TitleLifelines Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintShire Publications Ltd
- Content Note25ill.
- Weight95 g
- Width130 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.