All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Nineteenth Century Rime (n-sectarian) movement played a major role in shaping modern Tibetan Buddhism. This book provides an overview of the movement, the major figures within it, its background context and why it has exerted such an enduring influence. The central figures in the Rime movement opposed the solidification and political rivalries of the various Buddhist lineages and schools while encouraging the study and practice of them all. The movement played an important role in reviving marginalised traditions and saving others on the point of extinction. The majority of Tibetan lamas teaching in the West, including His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, have been influenced by the Rime movement, and a number of important present-day lineages are directly connected to it. An appreciation of this movement is therefore invaluable for understanding Tibetan Buddhism as it is currently practised.
- Author BiographyPeter Oldmeadow is a well-known academic and Buddhist Philosopher. He is the author of numerous books and articles and is an Honorary Associate in the Department of Indian Subcontinental Studies at The University of Sydney.
- Author(s)Peter Oldmeadow
- PublisherShogam Publications
- Date of Publication01/01/2012
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationCarlton North, VIC
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintShogam Publications
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight346 g
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $46.68
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $52.91
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $32.10Trending at AU $44.92
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.