All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRisking Everything: A Freedom Summer Reader documents the 1964 Mississippi Freedom Summer Project, when SNCC and CORE workers and volunteers arrived in the Deep South to register voters and teach n-violence, and more than 60,000 black Mississippians risked everything to overturn a system that had brutally exploited them. In the 44 original documents in this anthology, you ll read their letters, eavesdrop on their meetings, shudder at their suffering, and admire their courage. You ll witness the final hours of three workers murdered on the project s first day, hear testimony by black residents who bravely stood up to police torture and Klan firebombs, and watch the liberal establishment betray them. These vivid primary sources, collected by the Wisconsin Historical Society, provide both first-hand accounts of this astounding grassroots struggle as well as a broader understanding of the Civil Rights movement. The selected documents are among the 25,000 pages about the Mississippi Freedom Summer Project in the archives of the Wisconsin Historical Society. The manuscripts were collected in the mid-1960s, at a time when few other institutions were interested in saving the stories of common people in McComb or Ruleville, Mississippi. Most have never been published before.
- Author BiographyMichael Edmonds is Deputy Director of the LibraryArchives at the Wisconsin Historical Society and curator of its online collection of 25,000 historical documents about Freedom Summer. A 1976 graduate of Harvard University, he earned an MS degree at Simmons College in 1979 and taught part-time at the University of WisconsinMadison. The author of several articles and books, Edmonds has won national awards from the American Folklore Society and the American Association for State and Local History.
- PublisherWisconsin Historical Society Press
- Date of Publication30/05/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWisconsin Historical Society Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byMichael Edmonds
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.15Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.