All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn thisNew York Timesbestselling memoir, Rita More shares her remarkable journey from a young girl with simple beginnings in Puerto Ricoto Hollywood legend and one of the few performers, and the only Hispanic, to win an Oscar, Grammy, Tony and two Emmys. Born Rosita Dolores Alverio in the idyll of Puerto Rico, More, at age five, embarked on a harrowing sea voyage with her mother and wound up in the harsh barrios of the Bronx, where she discovered dancing, singing, and acting as ways to escape a tumultuous childhood. Making her Broadway debut by age thirteen and moving on to Hollywood in its Golden Age just a few years later she worked alongside such stars as Gary Cooper, Yul Brynner, and Ann Miller. When discovered by Louis B. Mayer of MGM, the wizard himself declared: She looks like a Spanish Elizabeth Taylor. Cast by Gene Kelly as Zelda Zanders in Singin in the Rain and then to her Oscar-winning performance in West Side Story, she catapulted to fame yet found herself repeatedly typecast as the utility ethnic, a role she found almost impossible to elude. Here, for the first time, Rita reflects on her struggles to break through Hollywood s racial and sexual barriers. She explores the wounded little girl behind the glamorous facade and what it took to find her place in the world. She talks candidly about her relationship with Elvis Presley, her encounters withHoward Hughes, and the passionate romance with Marlon Brando that nearly killed her. And she shares the illusiveness of a perfect marriage and the incomparable joys of motherhood. Infused with Rita More s quick wit and deep insight, this memoir is the dazzling portrait of a stage and screen star who longed to become who she really is and triumphed.
- Author BiographyRita Moreno is one of the few artists to win an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony. She has also received a Golden Globe Award and a National Medal of Honor. She recently concluded a sold-out run of her one-woman show, Life Without Makeup, at the Berkeley Repertory Theater in Berkeley, California, and regularly appearsin the television show, Happily Divorced.
- Author(s)Rita Moreno
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication19/02/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Penguin Press
- Content Noteblack & white halftones
- Weight272 g
- Width137 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.