Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $31.11Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRita Mae Brown never had to come out of the closet because she was never in it. Within her garrulous, wisecracking family, she was always an outsider--called Il by her mother because she was the illegitimate child of a relative, adopted as an infant by the Browns. Loved but isolated, she was a child more at ease with animals than with people and a frequent pawn in the outrageous battles between her mother and her aunt, the mythic Juts and Wheezie of the vels Six of One and Bingo. What was never an issue, though, was her sexuality. Julia Brown accepted that her daughter was gay. At college it was different: Rita Mae's lesbianism and support of civil rights jeopardized the education she craved. Transferring to New York University, she got involved in the fledgling women's movement, where her outspokenness got her thrown out of NOW. An experiment in communal living was an inevitable bust. Then came Rubyfruit Jungle, the scandalous classic that made Rita Mae Brown the most famous openly gay person in America.A writing career in Hollywood followed, plus a love affair that was the most memorable of her life--all this before her relationship with tennis champion Martina Navratilova brought her transatlantic toriety as the woman who might singlehandedly destroy women's tennis.Through it all Rita Mae Brown has stayed grounded--by a fierce work drive, a connection to her Southern heritage, and an irreverent sense of humor that flavors every page of this irresistibly readable memoir. In a me-too world, she has remained a true original.
- Author BiographyRita Mae Brown is the bestselling author of Rubyfruit Jungle, In Her Day, Six of One, Southern Discomfort, Sudden Death, High Hearts, Bingo, Starting from Scratch: A Different Kind of Writers' Manual, Venus Envy, Dolley: A Novel of Dolley Madison in Love and War, and Riding Shotgun. With her tiger cat, Sneaky Pie, she also collaborates on the Mrs. Murphy mystery series, including Wish You Were Here, Rest in Pieces, Murder at Monticello, Pay Dirt, and Murder, She Meowed. An Emmy-nominated screenwriter and a poet, she lives in Charlottesville, Virginia. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Rita Mae Brown
- PublisherBantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/2001
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group
- Content Noteportraits
- Weight612 g
- Width146 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.