All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, a new-found love of spontaneity transformed Christian worship and revolutionized the Enlightenment's culture of sensibility. Rituals of Spontaneity tells the story of how and why spontaneity came to be so revered. Using archival material and works of Bunyan, Shaftesbury, Goldsmith, Smart and Wordsworth, Branch shows that the rise of spontaneity was intimately connected to the forces of commerce and science at the dawn of the Enlightenment. By focusing on the language in which spontaneity was defended and on its psychological repercussions, Rituals of Spontaneity challenges previous understanding of secularization and demonstrates the deep, often troubling connections between religion and secularism in modernity.Winner of the Book of the Year Award for the Conference on Christianity and Literature.
- Author BiographyLori Branch, Ph.D. is Assistant Professor of English at the University of Iowa.
- Author(s)Lori Branch
- PublisherBaylor University Press
- Date of Publication19/09/2006
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Place of PublicationWaco
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBaylor University Press
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight496 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine29 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $99.95
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.15
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.