All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $72.00Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionUnseen photographs of the late '60s and early '70s from the American road offer a compelling portrait of a fanciful landscape, w all but gone. Expectation, anticipation, discovery-each of these is a facet of an American institution, the road trip. With a focus on vernacular roadside architecture built between 1920 and the late 1960s, the golden age of the American road, Road Trip is a time capsule, a snapshot taken primarily in the early 1970s, of an extraordinary era and its roadside buildings, restaurants, gas stations, motels, and places of amusement, most of which are w long since gone. Built in an age of unbridled imagination, these structures speak to the fancies of their original owners and builders as much as to the purposes for which they were built: a gas station whose pumps are covered by a capy in the form of a fully realized B-29 bomber; a hot dog stand named Frank 'n' Stein, whose diners are met by a colossal Frankenstein bearing in one hand a mustard-covered dog and in the other a mug of foaming beer. With more than 200 previously unpublished full-colour photographs of the iconic imagery of the American highway and richly descriptive text, Road Trip will delight and engage both the armchair traveller, the enthusiast of Americana, the architectural enthusiast, and all those longing for the romance of the road.
- Author BiographyRichard Longstreth is a passionate observer of the American road who has driven cross-country on numerous occasions-and always with a camera. A professor at George Washington University, where he directs the program in historic preservation, he is the author of numerous books and articles.
- Author(s)Richard Longstreth
- PublisherUniverse Publishing
- Date of Publication07/04/2015
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniverse Publishing
- Content Note220 colour illustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.