Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.94
About this product
- DescriptionNoah had it easy. On any given day at the Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch in Medina, Texas, Nancy Parker-Simons, her husband Tony Simons, and a willing crew of employees and volunteers care for at least sixty rescued dogs, t to mention numerous cats, chickens, pigs, horses, wild mustangs, donkeys, and a rooster named Alfred Hitchcock-and Kinky Friedman, the rescue ranch's Gandhi-like figure who brings Nancy and Tony stray and abused animals, raises money for the rescue ranch, and makes sure one leaves the ranch without a dog or two. In this entertaining book, Nancy Parker-Simons tells the heartwarming, often hilarious story of the Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch. She describes how a series of it must have been fate incidents brought her together with Tony Simons and Kinky Friedman, and how, in 1998, the three of them decided to create a -kill haven for homeless and abused animals in the Texas Hill Country. Since their first rescue-the magnificent seven which were, in fact, forty-one dogs liberated from local animal shelters- Cousin Nancy and her crew have rescued over one thousand animals. Parker-Simons tells the fascinating stories of several dozen fortunate dogs, cats, and other animals that have come to the rescue ranch, either to be adopted by new owners or to live out their days in the ranch's utopia. She also pays tribute to the many supporters who have helped keep the ark afloat, including First Lady Laura Bush, Willie Nelson, Jerry Jeff Walker, Dwight Yoakam, Robert Earl Keen, Molly Ivins, and Don Imus. Everyone who cares about animal welfare will find The Road to Utopia hard to resist.
- Author BiographyNancy Parker-Simons has co-managed the Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch with her husband Tony Simons since 1998. According to Kinky Friedman, her secret, as far as I can tell, is a special combination of love, dedication, and a really wicked sense of humor, the last being an absolute necessity for anyone who runs an orphanage, a half-way house, or a hospice of the two-legged or the four-legged variety.
- Author(s)Nancy Parker-Simons
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2006
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Out-of-print date28/01/2013
- Content Note65 b&w photos
- Weight499 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine509 mm
- Foreword byKinky Friedman
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.