All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionAsolando, Robert Browning's final volume of poetry, was, when first published in 1889 - on the day of his death, deemed as charming by reviewers. Richard Kennedy asserts that Asolando was a fitting cap to this great poet's career. In this text, Kennedy fuses biography and critical commentary to provide a account of this poet's last years and his last volume of poems. Kennedy describes how Browning experienced a creative resurgence during the final years of his life, a period influenced by his association with the Amerian widow Katharine Bronson. After an introductory overview of those productive years, Kennedy provides critical commentary - sometimes analytical, and often judgmental - on each of the poems, indicating how they are representative of Browning's ideas and practices. Chapters are devoted to Browning's personal poems, his love poems, and those on religion, philosophy, and art. A selection of the poems from this text is reprinted in the appendix, and photographs, sketches, and reproductions of artworks complement the text throughout, offering insight into the last years of this poet's life. This book is aimed at readers who love poetry as well as at experts in Romantic and Victorian literature.
- Author BiographyRichard S. Kennedy is Professor Emeritus of English at Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He is author or editor of many books, including the multivolume Notebooks of Thomas Wolfe.
- Author(s)Richard S. Kennedy
- PublisherUniversity of Missouri Press
- Date of Publication31/12/1993
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationMissouri
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Missouri Press
- Content Note14 illustrations, index
- Weight327 g
- Width192 mm
- Height127 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.