About this product
- DescriptionThis autobiography follows West Virginia senator Robert C. Byrd's experiences from his boyhood in the early 1920s to his election in 2000, which won him an unprecedented eighth term in the Senate. Within these pages, Senator Byrd offers commentary on national and international events that occurred throughout his long life in public service. His journey from the hardscrabble coalfields to the marbled halls of Congress has inspired generations of people in West Virginia and throughout the nation. From reading the stories of the Founding Fathers as a young boy by the light of a kerosene lamp to the swearing of an oath for more than a half-century to guard the US Constitution, Senator Byrd's life is legendary. Until his death on June 28, 2010, Byrd stood by his principles, earning the affection of the people of his home state and the respect of Americans from all walks of life. With his beloved Erma ever by his side, Robert C. Byrd never forgot his roots, harkening back to those early lessons that he learned as a child of the Appalachian coalfields.
- Author BiographyThe longest-serving senator in history, Robert C. Byrd gained his higher education in the Senate. Rising from an impoverished childhood in the coalfields of West Virginia, Byrd entered public office in 1947 without a college degree. As a senator he earned a law degree by attending classes in the evenings. His careful reading of the Senate s rules, precedents, and history made him a formidable opponent in debate and fueled his rise through party leadership to become Democratic Conference secretary (1967 1971), whip (1971 1977), and leader (1977 1989). Senator Byrd died on June 28, 2010, having served for 51 years, 5 months, and 26 days.
- Author(s)Robert C. Byrd
- PublisherWest Virginia University Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2015
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationMorganstown
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWest Virginia University Press
- Content Note50 images
- Weight1134 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine48 mm
- Foreword byGaston Caperton
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.51New
- AU $65.15Used
- AU $78.97New
- AU $105.90New
- AU $75.89Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $47.66Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $80.48
- AU $21.08Trending at AU $23.17
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $94.85
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.70
- AU $22.06Trending at AU $23.08
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $102.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.