All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRochester is a historic city with a fascinating past. A favourite location of Charles Dickens, it is home to a number of important buildings. Most famous of these is Rochester Cathedral, which continues to attract many tourists all year round. Nearby Strood is ather town with a rich history. With an Old English name meaning 'marshy ground overgrown with brushwood', the town was established as a parish in the twelfth century and formed part of Kent until 1998. The Hoo Peninsula is well kwn as a haven for wildlife, and is also home to a number of picturesque villages. Using a unique collection of photographs, prints and postcards, Brian Joyce and Sophie Miller take the reader on a journey of discovery through streets and countryside, exploring the past life of this historic area. Well researched and informative, Rochester, Strood & the Hoo Peninsula From Old Photographs reveals the area's dramatic changes over the past two centuries as well as providing a fascinating insight into the town's history.
- Author BiographyBrian Joyce was born in Chatham. He holds degrees awarded by the University of Newcastle upon Tyne and Middlesex University. Brian is a retired teacher who researches and writes on all aspects of the history of the Medway Towns and has been a frequent speaker at meetings of local clubs and societies. Brian is the President of the Chatham Historical Society and has sat on various committees concerned with Medway's rich and varied history. He has his own collection of photographs, which he uses for his local books, also drawing on images from the collection of his co-author Sophie Miller. Sophie Miller is a graduate in Education. After leaving London for Kent, she's spent many years researching various aspects of the rich and diverse history of the county. She has a keen interest in the history of the county and can often be found at one of the many talks being given by Brian, who she has co-authored some local history books with.
- Author(s)Brian Joyce,Sophie Miller
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/10/2015
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleFrom Old Photographs
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note240
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.